One Hundred Years of Solitude

School Project for English

Friday, March 9, 2007

Reflective Chapters 1 - 6

One Hundred Years of Solitude:
My first impression of the book was that it would be a little confusing. The people had the same names and I hoped not to get them confused. Once I got into it, I did not want to put it down. I'm not sure how the title fits the book so far, but it will probably make sense later on. The book does not seem boring, though, as I thought it would be. It is a lot going on, but it is still comprehend- able. The first chapter was good. I did not like the fact that Ursula did not support her husband. I did not understand what JAB's obsession with alchemy was for. It got him no where. Ursula was really stubburn in her decision to stay, but she did not want to move again. I notice that JAB does a lot of crazy things. He is really ignorant and naive. It was nasty that JAB and Ursula were cousins. I understand why she was afraid to have sex. I found that there are a lot of magical elements, with the ghosts and the alchemy,and the flying carpet,etc. I just don't like the fact that everyone has the same name. It is a bit confusing. There also is the fact that you are not a man until you become a father. But is Jose Arcadio still a man for abandoning his unborn kid? It was also nasty that he was having sex or going to have sex with some young girl. That is completely disgusting! But then again it does take place in the like sixteenth century, so this was ok back then. But I just don't like it. Ursula going to look for her son shows that she is a good mother. But then, later on, when she is too busy to be a mom, she does not even notice how big Rebeca and Amaranta got. Rebeca arives and this is the start of a lot of weird things. She is always eating dirt, which is probably very nasty, but she must like it if she keeps eating it. Rebeca also brings with her her insomnia. This is spread throughout the entire town of Macondo. But this does not bother anyone. It was funny to find out that Aureliano is still a virgin. You would think that at his age, he would have already been with some chick. It was strange to me that there was so much order in Macondo. There is no war at this time, there is technicallly no leader, and yet, it is all peaceful. But again, this is in the sixteenth century, so this could not occur nowadays. But there are similar things back then and now. Like Ursula wanting her mansion to be all big, and beautiful, and all flashy. She has all these imports from all over the world, just to show off. And then she invites the people she wants to see the new home, and does not invite others. She just wants her family to be associated with the good well-off people. Then Pietro comes, and both Rebeca and Amaranta fall in love with him. They are giving women a bad rep. Especially when Amaranta says that she will to great lengths to prevent Rebeca's marriage and happiness with Pietro. This is upsets me. Could not she just be happy for Rebeca? But no, I guess not. Then Aureliano starts falling for like a nine year old girl called Remedios. Uh!? That is so DISGUSTING! It is so hard for me to understand how old men could like little kids. That makes my skin crawl. But whatever, that is life though, isn't it? I guess I just have to deal with it. Aureliano and Remedios were to get married until after she hit puberty, which most likely was when she got her period. She did, they got married, and then she got pregnant but died before giving birth. JAB went crazy. I guess it had to happen sooner or later, that JAB would lose his mind. All those weird obsessions and everything.

I was unable to finish this too. The library is closing....

Labels:

3 Comments:

At March 12, 2007 at 7:47 AM , Blogger mbrown8625 said...

You didn't finish this but you are so thorough and I'm impressed!!!!

VERY GOOD! This is the kind of work that I expect from you.

 
At March 12, 2007 at 7:52 AM , Blogger mbrown8625 said...

Outstanding work! You've done a great job with this, even though you didn't finish. I applaud your diligence. NIcely done!

Your Grade: B

 
At March 12, 2007 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Aurora said...

MWUAHAHA! I found yeh too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting