One Hundred Years of Solitude

School Project for English

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Reflective Blog Chapters 11-20

Reflection Chapters 11-20:

First off, it was a good book. I would have preferred to read it all in one sitting, because I would have been more into it. The whole idea was funny, that there was one entire family that was dysfunctional but that they all. Or most of them, loved each other, and they definitely proved their love sometimes, if you know what I mean. There was a lot of drama in the complicated family, but they all come through it, but not necessarily alive. It was unfortunate that the entire family line had to die. It was pretty bad that they got executed, and that the family suffered a lot. I was hoping for some happy ending but I guess that was impossible, with the way the family was destined to be that family that goes through the one hundred years of solitude, cut off from the rest of the world because of their habit of falling in love with their family members. I noticed that a lot of the deaths lead to the particular loved ones to be depressed, and fall into a funk of solitude. The town of Macondo is changing, but everything else stays the same. The people do the same thing over and over again, because time is repetitive. That is also one of the major themes. But also, the magical realism is another theme, with dead people walking around and coming back to life, and other things like that. Family also remains together through the affairs, like when Aureliano 2nd was with Petra, but came home Meme to see that him and Fernanda were one happy family. But Meme saw through it anyways. But it did show that he cared about his daughter enough to arrange his life to make her happy. It sucked that Meme’s man, Mauricio, was killed. That was so bogus of Fernanda to do that. Her daughter was happy with him, so what that they were having sex and unmarried? That is so old school, that parents can’t let their kids be happy just because they don’t like their significant other. I guess that Aureliano 2nd is a pimp, because he is with Petra, but impregnates Fernanda. But that does not really change their situation. Amaranta still confuses me. She just made herself so damn unhappy, but still hates Rebeca, like it was her (Rebeca’s) fault. It’s like Amaranta keeps herself alive out of spite for Rebeca. But she still ends up dieing before Rebeca, when she had begged God to let Rebeca go first. Then Meme had a baby. It sucked that she got sent to the convent like that, and that she never spoke again. Then all that drama with the civil war stuff went on. I was mad that the gov’t acted like nothing ever happened to them three thousand people that they all killed. Uhh, that just annoys me that gov’ts always lie like nothing, like no one is going to remember, as if no one cares. Ursula is getting older, which is expected. I’m surprised she lasted this long. JAB died a while ago, I’m not sure what chapter, but it was a while back. Then all the rain happens, and it screws Macondo up, so that the town is unable to get to how it was before. Then again, everyone starts dieing. Ursula, Rebeca, and the twins all die in the same year. Then Fernanda dies and Santa Sofia leaves to die somewhere, and Jose Arcadio, the pope one, comes home to Aureliano. It was only them two, and Amaranta Ursula living, left over from the family. Then Jose Arcadio is killed by the kids he might have molested. I got that from the text, but I don’t know if it is true. But I was just reading in between the lines. Then AU and Aureliano get together despite that they are family and that she is married. How much damn incest is this family going to commit? There is only so much a reader could take. Did the author Marquez have to illustrate it so much? (It being the incest.) I really did not like reading that, but I guess the book was meant to be controversial. It was sad, though, that AU had to die, and I was so mad that the baby died. It was all Aureliano’s fault. He forgot about his kid. How could he do that? That is his son!! The line has to end there. The family was destined to end there. I wonder why it was so tragic for their family. But now I completely see why it was called One Hundred Years of Solitude. This was a good book, I just hope that I learned something from it, like how to blog. And it helped me because it took so much of time, and it continues to cause me to stress out unnecessarily too much. I hopes this means I get an excellent grade for this for all the hours and time it took, and I hope that grade makes me feel like it was worth losing out so much of my life to do it, which I doubt. I hope that if you assign this project to another class, at least cut it down, because I don’t want others to feel like I do right now. All this work for the preparation of the AP exam I am going to take, and for college. I just hope that I succeed in furthering my ability to read a book.




Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 29, 2007 at 8:27 PM , Blogger mbrown8625 said...

I still don't see ch. 19-20.

This was a good reflection. Thanks for all comments, ideas, and explanations.

Suggestions: though this is informal, be aware of run-on sentences, and inserting verbal pauses such as "uhhh" and "like" as it takes away from the coherence of your writing.

You have several sentences similar to the following: "Family also remains together through the affairs, like when Aureliano 2nd was with Petra, but came home Meme to see that him and Fernanda were one happy family. But Meme saw through it anyways?"

You have punctuation issues and typos.

You're also missing the last two journals (See project handout)

Your grade: D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting